Summer Lists, Simplified


Wearing:

Top: Evereve
Shorts (similar) | Hat (similar) | Bag: c/o J. Jill (very similar!) - also love this one!
Jacket: J. Crew (similar)
Sunnies: Old Navy



When Mike and I were dating, we would always make a Summer list - Things we wanted to try or experience and after a year or two, some of those become annual activities. Six Flags, Taste of Chicago (for rainbow cones and cheesecake!), Sox Games, Movies at the Park, North Avenue Beach, Brew at the Zoo. We also penciled in travel wherever we could, like a road trip to Cedar Point and an anniversary visit to Catalina Island, where he proposed. But the tradition of the Summer list started way before there was a Mike...

I've made one for myself for as long as I can remember and early on, when Summer meant you had all the time in the world, the plans were much more simple. Spend a whole day in Megan's pool, finish my new book, burn mix cd's on Kazaa (The best, right?!), jump on the trampoline, organize neighborhood flashlight tag (this was my JAM!), get a blizzard at Dairy Queen, sleep until noon, ride bikes, live in my swimsuit. God, when I think about days like that in my head, it seems so long ago that it's hard to believe they ever happened. Those were some of the the best memories I've made though, at the time, I didn't appreciate how fast and fleeting they actually were.

It's funny, though, because with Ronan, I get to re-live the simple days of Summer once again in a way. Because he's experiencing everything for the first time, he's fascinated by it all so he's a great reminder to slow down and appreciate all the little memories we're making together. Things like sitting on our deck blowing bubbles, eating our breakfast outside in pajamas, going for early morning walks, sitting in the grass and letting it graze our bare feet, enjoying the swings at the park, splashing at the water table, eating a cold treat on a hot day (or in his case, a cool teether). Even though we have a full calendar of activities with some event occupying almost every weekend, I appreciate having something that helps me remember all of Summer's wonderful simplicity.


Speaking of wonderful... these cotton striped shorts from J. Jill are that and more. I call them my "Mom Shorts," (which is quite literal) because of the length, but I mean it in the best way possible. Most of my shorts are fairly short (not necessarily cheeky), but still too much for the office and  many places in real life. Not only are these length appropriate but they are so soft, not too tight or too lose and the cutest striped style for Summer. I love blue/white together and you guys know I have a stripe addiction so it's not surprising I wear these multiple days in a row during the week. They are the perfect throw on & go bottoms so I can already tell I will be living in them for the next few months.





What's on your Summer list? Do you make one every year?

See ours on Instagram! Happy Friday :)


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Kait Lately
Blogger Templates by pipdig