A Letter to Law on your 1st Birthday

My sweet boy - Happy 1st birthday. I can't believe a year has passed but more so, I can't believe the kind of year it was. A year (plus) spent in a pandemic that has forever changed every single one of us. I have spent a lot of time this week reflecting on the past 365 days we have spent together and it often brings me to tears. I am not the same person I used to be - I suppose you never are after bringing life into the world, but it's more than that. In March of 2020, we were busy preparing for your arrival, already nervous about making this big transition and entering the next phase of our lives but we could have never prepared for the kind of change we were about to experience. It started out small - We moved out of our room in the house and turned it into your nursery. We bought Ronan books on becoming a big brother. AND THEN - Restaurants started closing - A stay-at-home order issued, just for two weeks to "flatten the curve" (and I remember how even that seemed impossible). Trade shows shutting down which meant uncertainty at work. Maternity leave which turned into a furlough which resulted in never once stepping foot back into the office with the team who had become my family over the past TEN years. Caution tape put up on our favorite parks. Wearing masks to see hug a family member, not hugging many family members at all. Favorite play places closed, no explanation for heartbroken toddlers. A covid test and masks required in the delivery room. No visitors allowed at the hospital. An unexpected and extremely emotional emergency c-section...

But then on May 7, 2020, at a little past 2pm, you were placed in my arms with a tear-stained face while my teeth were still chattering and I didn't know much about you yet but I knew you were exactly what we needed. 



Our early newborn days together are hazy at best - Standard for that phase of life, yes, but because there was so much going on in the world, I felt as if I was sleepwalking through the motions many of those days. It was survival mode and then some - I was doing my best to adjust to being home with you and your brother all day every day (and not having the freedom to go anywhere!) and find our own routine once Dad went back to work. I was figuring out how to breastfeed while keeping Ronan entertained, remembering what it was like to function on little sleep and all the while, keep a positive attitude about life during COVID. 

But you...you made all of the hard things so much better.


As important as it is for me to acknowledge what a difficult, trying year it's been, it's even more crucial you know that YOU have been the brightest light in it all and my reason for trying to do my best every single day. From the day you came home, you have been perfectly happy and content, willing to go with our flow and thankfully, being blissfully unaware of anything happening outside our 4 walls. We knew very early on that you were a sweet soul, from the long naps you would take in your outdoor dome to sitting on the porch rockers late at night with us at the lake house, just smiling as we talked. You slept in between Dada and I for months and it was comforting to have you so close. You made my job of nursing you so easy and certainly less stressful this time around, both of us finding our groove and STILL going TWELVE - MONTHS - LATER. I am so proud of you - OF US - for continuing on that journey together and will for as long as you'll have me. 





You are never not smiling. Friends and family have asked many times, "does he ever cry? Is he always this happy?" and the answer is, yes - There is very little that upsets you, unless we're talking about food or pacifiers being taken away, understandable. You have always been patient with us, often giving us the time we need to tend to your brother, who at 3 years old, demands a lot of attention. Then and now, you often have to wait a few extra minutes because he needs to be buckled first, given a snack or helped climb up a ladder at the park and you just wait your turn, with a grin on your face. It is easy to see how much you adore and idolize Ronan, your eyes following him when you were an infant and your feet running after him today, as he tries to play hide and seek with you or make you laugh (or more realistically, steal your toys and "accidentally" push you on your butt). But I see your bond forming and it makes a Mommy and Daddy heart so happy to know you have a built-in best friend for life.


There are so many things I want to remember about you in your first year. 

How you would wake up in the pack & play and I would see two little eyes staring at me, smiling when you saw me sit up in bed. When you were really tiny, Ronan would wake in the morning and say, "good morning baby - are you comfy??" How you've ALWAYS loved bath time, never once complaining about being in the water. Naps in the dockatot. Naps on the bopppy. But rarely naps on Mom - not a fan of being rocked. Loving the abc 123 song book. Insisting on sleeping on your belly from the get go. The night you wouldn't sleep so I put pillows all around my bed and we slept in the middle together. The elephant Halloween costume. How delightfully chunky you were. Your obsession with the remote. The plaid winter hat. The way your face looks when you see Elmo. How fascinated you were with the toy crab (RIP crab). Your tiny foot in my armpit while feeding. Incessantly rolling under the table once you knew how. Your first Christmas. The snowsuit. 














The way you used your sloth toes pick up toys and help you balance. When you started giving kisses. Your first swing. The first time you said Mama. How your tiny fingers touched the "Never touch a Dinosaur" books. The firetruck at the park. How you started walking at 10 months, just like Ro. How much you LOVE TO EAT. How you dance to the purple dinosaur. How you clap your hands at dinnertime. How you love to take out the bath stopper. 

How absolutely WONDERFUL you are. 




















And please never let me forget how when I laid you down to change one (of your many) diapers today, I kissed your bare, chubby legs, right in the nook underneath your knee and you laughed a laugh that made my heart jump out of my chest. I did it again and again because for as long as I live, that will be one of the greatest sounds my ears have ever heard. Much like this first year together, it was one of a kind. 

Happy birthday to my Law. You are everything we needed and more. I love you more than you'll ever know.




Love, Mama


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Kait Lately
Blogger Templates by pipdig