Baby, Lately: 6 Months

Disclosure: I actually wrote this post a few weeks ago so actually, Ro is almost 7 months. Time, SLOW DOWN!

6 months. It sounds so much older than 5, doesn't it? When we brought Ronan home, it was so hard to imagine us getting to this point. We were so sleep-deprived and glazed over that it felt like time was going to stand still forever but all of those cliche things people say are true: The days are long but the years are short and time has passed in the blink of an eye. It feels so much older, maybe because it’s one of those definitive milestones, or at least that's the feeling I've gotten from the endless amount of google research I've done. By this age, babies are “supposed to be” sleeping in the crib, starting solids, learning how to sit up, starting to crawl and lots of other firsts. Basically learning all the basic skills that are significant in becoming a successful, functioning human being. So far, we have navigated all of these rough waters together...




As exciting as it is to watch him flourish right before our eyes, it's hard on a Mom's emotions because in the back of my mind, I can't help but think it won't be long before I see him standing at the end of the aisle, waiting for his bride. I know...it's a little lot over the top to be thinking about that right now but the point is, it's so important to appreciate every moment, even those that are stressful at the time. I take so many pictures of him every day because somewhere in my mind, I think: If I photograph it, I won't forget any of the special time together. I try to permanently sear them into my memory, hoping that years from now, I will still be able to recall the feeling of holding him in my arms or singing to him in the darkness of his nursery while he drifts off to sleep. Being a Mom means wearing your heart on the outside of your body -- It's delicate and so vulnerable because it no longer just belongs to you. It beats differently now, mostly in rhythm with his.




It seems like every day brings something new. A new favorite or a new milestone, each one making me so proud. Here's what Ro is currently loving at 6 months:

FAVORITE TOY(s): SO MANY. We are are literally drowning in toys, trying to keep our heads above all of the flashing lights, colors and sounds. Ro loves the Sassy Wonder Wheel and so do I actually. I actually find it soothing and he loves to watch it spin while scooting around in his Joovy. This walker is awesome because it doubles as a great space for feeding. The huge tray is great for placing some of his toys there to keep him entertained (especially while I try to get work done) and once it's time to eat, I clean it off and get ready for cereal...then it can go straight into the dishwasher. Plus, it's beautifully designed...one of the only children's items in our house that isn't neon green! 😂 He also currently loves his own remote and the cube.




FAVORITE FOOD(s): We just started introducing solids and as excited as I was to see him experience new flavors, it seems to be a slow going process. We started with a taste of bananas and then moved on to some pears and both of them were originally greeted with a sour face and look of disgust but I started mixing in a little bit of bananas with his rice cereal and that seemed to go over better. From there, it was easier to introduce new flavors...right now he's digging apples and carrots. Gerber has some taster packs which are great for starting out so you don't end up wasting any of the puree. P.S. We really like this cereal!

SLEEP: Oh, sleep. The bane of my existence...and pretty much any new Mom's. This guy has never been the best sleeper but it hasn't been awful either. It was a goal of mine to have Ro sleeping in his crib starting at 6 months which I know to some of you probably sounds a little late. But if there's one thing I've learned, it's that every baby truly is SO different. They are each their own little person and you have to do what works for your Family to, well...survive. So that said, he was sleeping in his rock n play (aka a Godsend) until 5.5-ish months and had been sleeping pretty well, 7-8 hours a night towards the end so I was dreading the crib transition (like, full-on anxiety) but he was getting fairly cramped in there and I knew it was time to bite the bullet before it became any harder. I had done A LOT -- embarrassing amounts -- of sleep research and read a lot of good things about the Merlin so I had been keeping that in our back pocket for when we were ready to hit up the crib because I thought it would a nice way to still make him feel cushioned and cozy while being in such an open space.


And guess what? It worked...like magic ;) The first night in his crib, we were prepared to be up all night and had even asked my Mother-in-law to come over the next day, assuming we'd desperately need to nap. But then the morning came, and we realized our little man had slept ALL NIGHT LONG the very first night in his new space. In fact, he was STILL sleeping at 9:30AM so I kept checking on him to make sure he was breathing. I was ecstatic and so PROUD that morning...and moreover, grateful I didn't have to endure any "cry it out" situations. I knew we would encounter some of that at some point (and we have on a few nights) but only very mildly. Otherwise, he seems to really like his crib, mainly because it gives him the ability to sleep on his belly. He would be on his belly all day if he could! We're still working on long, consistent naps but I'll take what I can get.

I think I could talk all day about sleep tips, advice, what has worked, what hasn't, etc. 
Perhaps that deserves its own post in the future! Noted ✓

WEARING: 9 months -- I can't believe how fast these guys grow out of clothes. It's so hard not to buy him every adorable outfit I see but honestly, he only gets 2 or 3 wears out of each thing before it's too small and we're on to the next size. I will admit though, I am obsessed with overalls so I always give in to those! He has a huge wardrobe and I want to keep everything in good shape, either for the next baby or to pass on to friends kids so I bought some space bags and labeled them with each stage (newborn, 0-3 months, 3-6 months, etc.) so I can keep them well-preserved and organized. But how far do I go with that? Toddler? Preschool age? That's a LOT of storage (that we don't have)...Any thoughts? 🤔



WORKING ON: Sitting up on his own, holding his own bottle and crawling. The other day I turned around to see him on his knees and then he scooted across the floor. There was a toy he wanted and I suppose if you want something badly enough, you'll do what it takes :) It's fun to see him developing these new skills but the mobility is a whole new ballgame...goodbye candles and fireplace!

Mom's - What are your babies currently working on? 
Any 6-7 month stories, suggestions, favorites to share?

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Kait Lately
Blogger Templates by pipdig