Current Podcast: My Favorite Murder


Whenever I hear about a kidnapping or death on the news, especially if it's particularly troubling or gruesome, I immediately look up the people involved on Facebook. It's kind of weird - I know. I have gone down a rabbit hole so many times before, starting with the person that died and then clicking over and over until I end up on their friend's Mother's Grandma's yoga's teacher page, obsessing over pictures of the whole crew. I get so wrapped up in the story, wanting to know every single detail - How? Where? Why? What did it look like? Where were they last seen? What were they wearing? I don't know where this stems from, but I've always felt particularly compelled by crime stories, both in real life and on television (Hello! Law & Order SUV marathons!)

Let's take the disappearance of Elizabeth Smart - I was embarrassingly obsessed. In fact, I think my Mom was concerned about how much I talked about it but it was just so fascinating to me. The fact that she was taken from her bedroom and held captive not to far from her home and more importantly, had been out and about in public with the creepster kidnappers and nobody noticed a thing....? But the craziest thing was, when the police finally found her and asked her her name, she said it was something else. As a young girl, it was so hard me for me to understand that (didn't she want to go home?) and eventually, I came to realize how much brainwashing she had experienced and was then so focused on that. I went on to read her biography, watch the made for TV movie and devour any piece of Elizabeth-related media.

It's even even worse when something like that happens "close to home." I've been following the Lauren Spierer case since 2011 - 6 years later, I haven't forgotten. She was a student at Indiana University at the same time my cousin was and being from the Midwest, it didn't take long for the story to make its way here and become a big topic of conversation. It's a horrible, unimaginable tragedy (especially in my new Mother frame of mind) and the worst part is, we all KNOW somebody (or multiple somebodies) know exactly what happened. I wish every day the poor Family would just get the answers they so deserve.

So now that you know this "dark" side of me, it makes a lot of sense that I have recently become obsessed with the podcast, My Favorite Murder. I knew I was a little late to the party because I had been hearing about it for a while but I didn't know there's already been TWO YEARS of episodes to catch up on! I considered starting with the most recent ones but I wanted to go back and hear them from the beginning and I'm glad I did because it kicked off with one of my favorite murders -- The Jon Benet Ramsey story. Fun fact: Did you know her dad re-married Natalee Holloway's Mom? Shit is cray!



Anyway, if you're not familiar yet, here's what it's all about"My Favorite Murder is, on the surface, a podcast for true-crime fans. The hosts, comedy writer Kilgariff and Cooking Channel personality Georgia Hardstark, take turns retelling and editorializing about history’s most gruesome killings—and the occasional near-killing— while the other reacts with shock, outrage, and witty deadpan commentary. They also talk openly about their own struggles with anxiety, depression, alcoholism, and drug use." I have now spent 7 episodes listening to these 2 friends and each week is more interesting. Karen and Georgia each share a murder story, possibly a famous one in history or one of you've never heard of and then they end each episode by reading a murder story submission from their listeners so it's pretty cool to hear so many stories you wouldn't have otherwise. So far, one of MY favorite murder stories they've told is the unsolved case of Elisa Lam - Watch the elevator video and tell me that isn't the creepiest thing you've ever seen! 

Ever since listening to Serial, (season 1 - I couldn't through 2), I realized how much I just enjoy storytelling in general. I find it relaxing and calming to spend an hour of my time listening to the details just spill out, one by one. It's a great way to zone out -- I often listen in the car, while the baby is napping or in the shower...part of my "me time" :) 


Are there any other murder/crime fans out there? 
Let me know if you have similar podcast recommendations or tv shows, books, movies I should add to must "must list!"
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Kait Lately
Blogger Templates by pipdig