Honey Shortbread Lavender Cookies




Fun fact about me: I LOVE LAVENDER. Lavender anything - Soap, pillow spray, coffee, cookies, candles, flowers, the color and the list goes on and on my friend. I've written about this a few times before - When I shared this lavender iced latte recipe, these honey lav muffins and when i've discussed my obsession with the scented towels after hot yoga which is where this real love connection began. My two favorite coffee shops (here and here) make out of this world lavender lattes and I literally have dreams about them if too much time goes by. The aroma instantly relaxes me which is why I spray it on my pillow before sleep and add a few of the essential oil drops to a hot shower before I step in. So, I think i've convinced you, right? About all of the reasons it's amazing?

That's why I was SO excited re-stock my house with two of my favorite baking ingredients: Lavender flower buds and lavender vanilla sugar. The flower buds have a strong floral, herbal aroma and flavor, which pairs well with both sweet and savory dishes. The sugar is a great addition to your tea or coffee (or for shaking onto toast or pancakes for a breakfast treat), but also works so well with cupcakes and shortbread cookies. If you're not familiar, the Spice House is a fantastic cooking/baking resource, especially if you're looking for more unique ones like these. You can stop in one of their 4 locations (Chicago and Milwaukee) or order online.




I've been on a banana bread kick lately but with the new spices in tow, I decided it was time to mix it up and went for a shortbread cookie flavored with honey and lavender. I used local honey that I picked up near our lake house which is been sitting idle in my cabinet for a while just begging for the perfect recipe

Ingredients

  • 2 cups all-purpose flower
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon dried or fresh lavender
  • 6 ounces unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • (I added the lavender vanilla sugar mentioned above)'


Directions:

  1. Combine flour, salt, baking powder, and lavender in a medium bowl.
  2. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter, honey, and sugar in a large bowl. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
  3. Spoon dough out onto a large rectangle of parchment paper and roll in the paper to form a log. Sprinkle lavender vanilla sugar on the dough if using. Transfer dough to refrigerator and chill until firm, about 1 to 2 hours.
  4. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the log of dough into 1/2-inch slices. Place the slices on sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart, and bake 8 minutes, or until light golden brown.



I don't usually toot my own horn but I knew how delicious these were going to be when they were baking in the oven. They made my entire house smell amazing and then I ate 3 of them before they were even done cooling. Not sorry! Plus, they are a perfect complement to your coffee in the morning. I am super pumped about these and the way they turned out, you guys - If you're a fan of the flavor/scent like I am, whip these up ASAP. I can't wait to use the flower buds for more baking...I saw a lavender banana walnut bread with my name on it...


Have you ever tried baking with lavender? 
If yes, please share the recipe in the comments!

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Kait Lately
Blogger Templates by pipdig